Notwithstanding any such preference not to receive promotional information by you, SEACOM reserves the right to contact you regarding account status, changes to the terms and conditions and other matters relevant to the underlying services and/or the information collected.
2. Who we are
SEACOM is network and electronic communications service provider which provides a wide range of Enterprise and Wholesale connectivity products that assist businesses in today’s fast-paced digital world. From high-speed fibre or wireless Internet access to Ethernet links and cloud connectivity, SEACOM’s solutions and reach, provide corporate customers with the ability to grow within and beyond Africa’s borders. SEACOM’s pedigree in the international communications market ensures world-class, reliable connectivity.
3. The information we collect
Collection of Personal Information
We collect and process your Personal Information mainly to provide you with access to our services and products, to help us improve our offerings to you and for certain other purposes explained below. The type of information we collect will depend on the purpose for which it is collected and used. We will only collect information that we need for that purpose. We collect information directly from you where you provide us with your personal details, for example when you purchase a product or services from us or when you submit enquiries to us or contact us. Where possible, we will inform you what information you are required to provide to us and what information is optional.
Examples of information we collect from you are:
- email address
- telephone/cell number
- user-generated content, posts and other content you submit to our web site
We also collect information about you from other sources as explained below.
With your consent, we may also supplement the information that you provide to us with information we receive from other companies in the office products industry in order to offer you a more consistent and personalized experience in your interactions with SEACOM.
Collection of Non-Personal Information
We may automatically collect non-Personal Information about you such as the type of internet browsers you use or the website from which you linked to our website. We may also aggregate details which you have submitted to the site (for example, the products or services you are interested in). You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on this web site. We may from time to time supply third parties with this non-personal or aggregated data for uses in connection with this website.
4. Cookies policy
We use the term “cookies” to refer to cookies and other similar technologies covered by the POPI Act on privacy in electronic communications.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are small data files that your browser places on your computer or device. Cookies help your browser navigate a website and the cookies themselves cannot collect any information stored on your computer or your files. When a server uses a web browser to read cookies they can help a website deliver a more user-friendly service. To protect your privacy, your browser only gives a website access to the cookies it has already sent to you.
How are third party cookies used?
How do I reject and delete cookies?
5. How we use your information
We will use your Personal and Non-Personal Information only for the purposes for which it was collected or agreed with you, for example:
- To confirm and verify your identity or to verify that you are an authorised customer for security purposes
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- To notify you about changes to our service
- For market research purposes
- To assist with business development
- For the detection and prevention of fraud, crime, or other malpractice
- To conduct market or customer satisfaction research or for statistical analysis
- For audit and record keeping purposes
- In connection with legal proceedings
- We will also use your Personal Information to comply with legal and regulatory requirements or industry codes to which we subscribe or which apply to us, or when it is otherwise allowed by law.
- For monitoring and auditing site usage
- Evaluate the use of the site, products and services
- Analyse the effectiveness of our advertisements, competitions and promotions
- Personalise your website experience, as well as to evaluate (anonymously and in the aggregate) statistics on website activity, such as what time you visited it, whether you’ve visited it before and what site referred you to it
- Make the site easier to use and to better tailor the site and our products to your interests and needs
- Help speed up your future activities and experience on the site. For example, a site can recognise that you have provided your Personal Information and will not request the same information a second time.
- Collect information about the device you are using to view the site, such as your IP address or the type of Internet browser or operating system you are using, and link this to your Personal Information so as to ensure that the site presents the best web experience for you
- To contact you regarding products and services which may be of interest to you, provided you have given us consent to do so or you have previously requested a product or service from us and the communication is relevant or related to that prior request and made within any timeframes established by applicable laws.
- Suggest products or services (including those of relevant third parties) which we think may be of interest to you • Offer you the opportunity to take part in competitions or promotions
- You can opt out of receiving communications from us at any time. Any direct marketing communications that we send to you will provide you with the information and means necessary to opt out.
- To respond to your queries or comments
6. Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose your Personal Information to our service providers who are involved in the delivery of products or services to you. We have agreements in place to ensure that they comply with these privacy terms.
We may share your Personal Information with, and obtain information about you from:
- Third parties for the purposes listed above;
- Other companies in the office products industry when we believe it will enhance the services and products we can offer to you, but only where you have not objected to such sharing;
- Other third parties from whom you have chosen to receive marketing information.
We may also disclose your information:
- Where we have a duty or a right to disclose in terms of law or industry codes;
- Where we believe it is necessary to protect our rights.
7. Personal Information Security
We are legally obliged to provide adequate protection for the Personal Information we hold and to stop unauthorised access and use of personal information. We will, on an on-going basis, continue to review our security controls and related processes to ensure that your Personal Information is secure.
Our security policies and procedures cover:
- Physical security;
- Computer and network security;
- Access to personal information;
- Secure communications;
- Security in contracting out activities or functions;
- Retention and disposal of information;
- Acceptable usage of personal information;
- Governance and regulatory issues;
- Monitoring access and usage of private information;
- Investigating and reacting to security incidents.
When we contract with third parties, we impose appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality obligations on them to ensure that Personal Information that we remain responsible for, is kept secure.We will ensure that anyone to whom we pass your Personal Information agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we are obliged to.
8. Access to your Personal Information
You have the right to request a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you. To do this, simply contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our home page and specify what information you would like. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information.Please note that any such access request may be subject to a payment of a legally allowable fee, as laid down in our POPI Act Policy.
9. Correction of your Personal Information
You have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before making changes to Personal Information we may hold about you. We would appreciate it if you would take the necessary steps to keep your Personal Information accurate and up-to-date by notifying us of any changes we need to be aware of.
10. Definition of Personal Information
According to the POPI Act ‘‘Personal Information’’ means information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person. The POPI Act, which has more specific examples if you need them, can be found at the following link: www.gov.za/documents/download.php?f=204368
11. Changes to this policy
Please note that we may amend this policy from time to time. Please check our website periodically to inform yourself of any changes.
12. How to contact us
If you have any queries about this notice or believe we have not adhered to it, or need further information about our privacy practices or wish to give or withdraw consent, exercise preferences or access or correct your personal information, please contact us at the numbers/addresses listed on our website https://www.seacom.com or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.